Saturday, July 11, 2009

Heal The World

As Michael said, "Heal the world. Make it a better place." Today, we went to an orphanage in Antipolo City to donate four bikes to the kids there. This haven the little souls is called the Redeemer's Home Foundation. They have 15 angels and about half of them were big enough to put their fragile bodies on the saddle.


It's my first time here and this was the second time Philippine Mountain Bike (PMTB), an online forum for bikers, headed by Roche (Whoops) is visiting the Foundation. I could have joined the other ride in Norzagaray, Bulacan which offered some sightseeing for nature lovers like me but I decided to donate my sweat to these young fellows who need more attention and much care. About a dozen of us pedaled all the way to Antipolo via Sumulong Highway. The mini-bikes were put in a pick-up truck of one of the forum members who drove to the orphanage while the rest of the group biked all the way. We brought the bikes as gifts to these wonderful children who were mostly abandoned by their parents in the hospital after birth. I wonder if I can ever do that to my child. I felt really sorry for these angels but glad to see them beautiful and bouncing. Funny thing was they all look the same as if they were siblings. I guess everyone got a fair treatment from the caretakers.


Happy to see them, the big ones with ages between 4 to 9, tested their new bikes. I couldn't show them my tears. I went inside the house and found three little cuties in their cribs. I wanted to hug them and feel them. I don't have my own baby yet but I'd like to have one. I picked up Rica who was barely a year old. She was cute and round. She cried being held by a stranger for the first time. I tried to play with her, still unsure who was this tall, sun-burnt, sweaty guy carrying her, I decided to put her back to her crib. She tried to flip a couple of times with her clear and beautiful eyes fixed at me. I tried to give her some mumbles then she smiled. I poked my finger inside the crib, she reached for it and held it like she knew me, I was so glad. So i tried to pick her up again and gee there were no more crying. I guess no more fear of strangers. She gave me a big smile and held me tight...Bernard, the Home's manager told me one trick: When you carry a baby, put her next to your heart. That gives the connection... And I did.



2 comments:

  1. this one is sweet Oliver... I like the way you cuddle the baby. You look good together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Cute ba kaming dalawa ni Rica?

    ReplyDelete