Monday, August 24, 2009

First Crash, Third Century

Things have to be measured in numbers if to be remembered. Last Friday, I registered my third 100km and more mileage. I did 102.67 from my house to Calinawan Cave in Tanay, Rizal. I can still remember my first century ride last April during the Licao-Licao tour. It was memorable since it was a major ride where 85 riders participated and I was freaking dead tired when I reached home after 15 hours when I left home at 4:00 AM. My cyclo comp showed 110.78 km. They call it century ride once you hit at least 100km on the saddle . My second on the other hand happened last June with about 114km enroute to Tagaytay and back. Being "paydak-all-the-way" (pedal all throughout/no car) makes century rides achievable and more in the horizon. Only one denominator with these three was the seemed to be never-ending roads. It surely consumed my energy almost to the limit. Unfortunately, my ever growing century rides gave me another stat. This time my first crash on my mountain bike ever. Yeah, I had a couple of misjudgement over a rock, a stump, or rut but they were all minor. No wounds to worry, no cuts gained. This time I literaly banged myself to the ground hard.

It was hot and humid afternoon, must be nearing 3:00PM. Just passed by an overlooking view of the town of Tanay and was now about to go downhill on a fireroad approaching the first village in Pinugay. The gang was traversing the inner trails of Tanay-Sampaloc-Pinugay that would show us back to Marcos Higway. It was a sort of Rizal Loop but instead of doing an all road we did the inside trails going back to the jump off point after visiting Calinawan Cave. Oh boy, it was fun to hit above 50 kph on your cyclo comp. I was on the tail end of the group since I was having some problems with my chain which already sucked in between crankset and frame a couple of times. How can anyone explain the great feeling when the wind is blowing on your face, great scenery, the mood of the countryside. Still sipping the last seconds of the downhill rush the jeepney fully loaded with local people from Pinugay was also taking advantage of the downhill portion to gain some speed. She was some 25 meters ahead of me. The jeepney was occupying the road somewhat a little bit to the left of the center, taking half of the other lane which was supposed to be against the law. But if you were in places like this, who cares much about the law? Few vehicles and wide open countryside. So there was no way for me to overtake her from the left, the normal way. My momentum showed faster than what the jeepney was doing. She slowed down a bit. Now I was caught in the moment whether to pass to her right or not as she kept her pace while keeping her place to the left of the center of the road. Stupid of me I know it's not a good idea to pass any vehicle to the right side. I applied some breaks, a little to the rear and a little to the front. Suddely i felt my rear tire wobbling, she must be skidding. It's okay I told myself it happens when you are pressing breaks when going down the hill. I know it would hold since I was now using Crossmark 2.1 which is much better than SmallBlock 8 that came with the bike when I bought it. Crossmark had bigger threads for better traction. As they say, accidents happen very fast. After just one second that my wheel came wagging, I saw my handle bar making a swift circle to the left. I realized I was in deep shit. Next thing I knew my right shoulder banged against the compacted road, can't really remember if I spin but review of what happened and the prescence of bruises and small cuts in both of my shoulders and legs told me I did. Yeah, I remember my head slammed to the road, thanks to my Specialize helmet. I was also lucky that my cleats disengaged on it's own I don't know how. All of this happend very quickly. I would say in just about 3 seconds from the time my tired wiggled. I can still hear the voices of the shocked young girls who were straddling at the end of the jeepney..Haha, young girls on estribo, what a sight indeed. Plus, a stranger in a beautiful bike to their eyes crashing. Lol.

Instinct told me to get up and check my body for any injuries. My hands run through the side of my body, my arms, and my legs. Seemed perfectly ok. The last two fellas came and one asked what happend. It seemed he didn't see a thing and was wondering I was coming up the side of the road with my bike laying down. An indication that something bad happened since it wasn't a resting position or anything to that effect. And who the hell in the world would rest at the end of the downhill part. I told him my bike skid. The skidmark was still there some 5 meters from where the bike was but the mark was not that long, maybe just a meter and a half. That gave me a conclusion I did flip over, thrown away sideways from the bike after it skid. The bike might have fully stopped and I fell to the right like a log. The other biker told me he saw everything. Yes, my recollections were true. Fortunately I didnt have any visible injuries. Just the scratches, bruises, and small cuts. I was worried of the colar injury that any biker is prone when crashing. But since I was able to make some shoulder, head, and arm rotation, I guess I was Ok. My helmet held on and wasnt broken. they were amazed to see me get up as if nothing happend, my jersey was intact with no tear. We continued to bike.

The following morning I went to the doctor to have some xrays for some peace of mind. Luckily, all was well. Just two days of rest and I was back to what I love doing. Lessons learned. Much care to be taken next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment